Preparing to leave Gocek

Looks like the documents are in Istanbul and may very well make it to Gocek today. All being well we will leave Gocek early in the morning. We're all very ready to leave. Not that this is not a lovely place, but we have all felt captive by the circumstances. This not being our boat, we have not been able to use it to go exploring the islands which I am sure are very beautiful.
As I said before the local people are very nice to us. Last night we were treated to dinner out by the Agency we are all working for as an apology for the extended delays. We had dinner at a new outdoor restaurant on the beach by the marina. The food was excellent. The Turks eat a style of food called Meses (not sure of that spelling), but it basically is a variety of small starters which you eat with bread. I think I could reproduce some of them. They were excellent. Everything was so good and we were very pleased to be able to spend the money with them as they have been so kind to us during our stay here. Letting me use the owner's lap-top when I needed to. Lending us an electric drill so that we could repair something on the boat. I don't know their names, but I certainly look forward to coming back here to see their business flourishing. They launch their restaurant as a live music venue on May 26th. We should be gone by then, but we wish them luck.

One of the things I love when I'm walking around, actually everywhere I go, is to see fruit growing everywhere. A couple of days ago I was walking past a group of 'traditional' looking Turkish people who were taking a break from cleaning up the pathway. They were pulling branches down from a tree and eating the berries from the tree. I asked them if they were good and they gave me some to eat. Then they kept picking more for me to eat until I felt like I was being a real pig. We were all having a good laugh about it.

Today I was walking past the same tree and was pulling down the branches to help myself. There were less ripe ones to eat so I only had a few. A man came out of his garden with a handful of the same berries, but they were huge and red. He gave them to me and invited me into his garden for more. They were incredible - I've never seen them anywhere else on my travels. He told me they were calle 'tut'. Again he was loading me up with them until I was embarrassed and had to make a polite escape.
These are very nice people. Their language is a bit beyond my ability to pronounce, or even remember. I've been told many time how to say thankyou - I even wrote it down, but I can't remember it.
Tony and I must come back to this part of the Med. Its gorgeous. There are 4 fairly good sized charter companies operating out of this marina too, Steelbird, Moorings, M.T.M., Sunsail, Top Yacht. Lots of potential here. Don't know how it would work for foreigners to work in Turkey though.
Next post should be back in Malta. Wish us luck. Weather looks alright until the end of the week, when it looks horrible.

Comments

Anne said…
Hey Nancy
Dick & I have also had wonderful experiences in Turkey and have done some sailing very close to where you are..around Marmaras and Brodrum...very beautiful very friendly people etc...we loved it! Bon Voyage!

Popular posts from this blog

Saint Lucia - Sint Maarten - 23rd - 26th April 2015 SHAKEDOWN

March 31st - Grand Cayman - Very Welcoming

Moored in Sausalito - San Francisco Bay