Eulogy to Grey Cat





Grey Cat was the youngest and oldest member of my immediate family. He was born to Fluffy, Josie's 3rd birthday present when Fluffy was about 8 months old. He was a very strange looking kitten - his head was a funny shape and I thought it best the children did not grow too fond of him as I thought he would die. So we didn't give him a proper name. How wrong was I? Grey Cat survived chickens, ducks, dogs, my marriage, Siggy the Llama. He survived a mortal mauling by racoons or coyotes in his fighting youth, and he survived several near drownings in his later years living aboard MoondancerX with us. He survived living with Johnny in an all young men's apartment and a short time with Josie living in an all young women's shared home, and he spent his last days in the peaceful family home of Mary and Elias, Mission and Mole, their new kitten, who probably helped Grey Cat remember that he was young once.
He lived 18 years - so many memories of our lives include him. I feel so sad that I will never hold Grey Cat in my arms again (whether he liked it or not). I feel sad that I will never meet him again in this life. Maybe in the next.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Sad to hear of Grey-Cat's passing - I always enjoyed giving him a 'Scratch behind the ear' when I came past your boat and always had a demanding 'Meooow' if when walking past I didn't stop.
Our Kat, which we thought would never take to the boat - now owns it. He crawls in his carry box in the condo - looking out as if to say 'beam me up to the boat!'
best wishes
Pete / Wendy

Popular posts from this blog

Saint Lucia - Sint Maarten - 23rd - 26th April 2015 SHAKEDOWN

Life on Great Abaco Island – Bahamas

Oh my Blog - How I have neglected you