Four months later - how time flies?

Alot of water has flowed under the bridge since the last post - or it would have if there was a bridge.
We've been with Barefoot since May of this year and have gone through their 'slow' season which really was quite busy - we've been home to Canada for 6 weeks, seeing our families and friends.
I was lucky enough to have my arrival at my daughter Mary's home coincide with the birth of Isaan,
her second child and my third grandchild.  During that visit I had some quality time with Mary's first-born, Mission, a lovely little boy who is almost 3.  Now I understand what happens in a Grandmother's
heart - it tops many of the other things I have going on in my life.
Tony and I are both working alot now - I got my cross-certification to the American Sailing Assoc. as an instructor teaching levels Basic up to Bareboat Skipper and Catamaran Skipper. Tony is also teaching a more advanced course - level 106.
This is good work, we are both sailing on several different boats and meeting many people - mostly from US, Canada and a few have come from Europe.  The locations we sail to in the Grenadines are quite stupendous; when I stop being the instructor for a few minutes and look around me I really can appreciate what it is that so many people come here for.  We have almost constant wind - sometimes quite strong winds - our students are often exposed to winds in the 20 - 30 knot range and if nothing else they learn to reef early.
We have also made new friends some of whom have been here for many years, and some are the people we meet on our courses.  The courses are 1 week long, live aboard, where we are in very close quarters with each other - and in some cases the bond is instant and mutual. 
There have been a few occasions when Tony and I are both booked out at the same time on different boats - I really like that because we can 'race' from one location to the other and we can join our groups together for some mealtimes.  The students like it because its kinda cool that their respective instructors are husband and wife and it expands the group dynamics.
My brother Michael and his wife Ann are visiting here from England - this is their last day before flying back.  They have been staying at Bequia and I think are enjoying themselves.  I took a week off and was able to spend some time with them over there - we sailed Moondancer over together.  Unfortunately Moondancer's starter motor failed quite dramatically last Wednesday when we were about to head out fishing; Mick's passion - so instead of fishing Mick spent most of the day working on my engine.  The next day we sailed her back to Barefoot in St. Vincent - not a pleasant sail by any means - so I hope all of the other days of their holiday have made up for the 2 that sucked.

                                  Pic.Mick and Ann in the back of a 'taxi' on a tour of Bequia 
We spent a few hours one day touring Bequia - most of our time on Bequia has been working so it was a real treat for me to see the other side - Friendship Bay looks beautiful, like a small coastal village in Cornwall.
                   Looking down onto Amiralty Bay - Moondancer's in the middle of the anchorage
                                                                     Friendship Bay It doesn't look too easy to sail into though maybe a good anchorage in a strong northerly, depends if the swell wraps around the east side of the island.
Now that its early December we are looking ahead to Christmas - it seems so bizarre to hear Christmas music playing in public places when we seem so removed from anything remotely Christmassy.  Tony and I are both booked out over Christmas on different boats but are definitely planning to move around in tandem and will join forces on Christmas Day wherever we are.
We're also booked out separately over the week of New Years and Tony's birthday on January 1st - again we will try to be in the right place to make that celebration special for our students - and ourselves.

Comments

Anonymous said…
“The journey is the destination.” ― Dan Eldon

www.nomadicliving.com

Popular posts from this blog

Saint Lucia - Sint Maarten - 23rd - 26th April 2015 SHAKEDOWN

March 31st - Grand Cayman - Very Welcoming

Moored in Sausalito - San Francisco Bay